Tuesday, November 9, 2010

911

911 ! 911 !  I would like to share an amusing story with you of when our grandson, who was three years old at the time didn't quite understand what he had been told and how we need to always be aware of how we explain things to little ones.  Sixteen years ago, before cell phones, we were always hearing how important it was to teach children what to do if an emergency occurred.  Call 911 !  So me trying to be the responsible Grandmother told him many times,  "If someone ever hurts you, Call 911"  I remember being very diligent about telling him this almost on a daily basis.  Imagine my surprise when one afternoon while he was playing in the living room I heard screams of  911 !, 911 !, 911!  When I ran into the living room he was getting a spanking for not doing what his Mother told him to do!  Those little pats to his bottom were most definitely an emergency to him!!

Those of us who are blessed enough to have children in our lives need to stay aware of how our words and actions are interpreted through the eyes of a child.  As a child we never were aware of family finances (or lack there of), gossip or anything else that parents seem to openly discuss in front of their children today.  There is an old saying that really holds true, "If you want someone to listen, whisper."  Don't think for a minute that they aren't hearing and witnessing everything around them.  Let them stay innocent and unaware until they are old enough to comprehend what the real situation is.

Granddaughter just walked into my office with a beautiful fruit loop necklace she made just for me........There's my blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment