Sunday, November 14, 2010

Who Determines Cool?

As a parent I always tried (the key word being tried) to do what was best for "my babies".  Needless to say sometimes I succeeded, and sometimes I failed.  I never realized just how much my parents had sacrificed or understood some of their decisions until I had my own children.  More than once in my years of raising children did the thought pop into my head "now I understand".  I think that is part of the fun of being a grandparent, you understand more of what is a temporary situation in their lives as opposed to a life altering situation.

We have a beautiful granddaughter, smart, sweet, loving, kind and fun!  She made a choice a couple of months ago to "go along with the crowd", you know "the cool crowd" and get a body piercing.  OMG was my first thought and lasting thought!  I have never been accused of keeping my opinions to myself so needless to say we had a prompt discussion about this.  This was not a long drawn out talk.  As we sat on the couch with my arm around her shoulder I asked her, "So when are you going to get a tattoo?"  She looked at me as though I had suddenly grown a third eye and said "Never!"  Why not?, I asked  her, a lot of people think tattoos are cool.  That was pretty much the entire conversation.

Several hours later as she was getting ready to go home she hugged me and said "I love you", as I held her I whispered to her "Who determines cool?....she looked up at me, smiled and said "I do!"........There's my blessing!

P.S.  The hole has closed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment