Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cherished Memories

I lost my Dad twenty-six years ago and yet sometimes I'm surprised at how often I still think of him.  He was older when I was born but I was blessed to have him until I was thirty-two.  He was born during very tough times, survived the depression, World War II and had a third grade formal education.  He was one of the most intelligent men I've ever known.  He was always interested in learning, we would tease him about holding up the crowd because he would stop and read any plaques in a park, or signs describing the history of a certain building.  National Geographic Magazine was his favorite reading material, we gave him a subscription one year as a Christmas gift and he later told me it was his favorite gift.  Needless to say he got that every year after that!

He was a kind hard working man who worked two jobs to support his wife and three children. My memories of him sitting on the couch letting his four year old daughter (me) stand beside him and comb his hair all different funny ways and his laughter upon seeing himself in the mirror will always be a part of my heart.  There are too many wonderful memories to share here but my point is that even though I know he had to be tired he never complained or sent me to off to play somewhere else.  Of course, back then we didn't have computers, and probably only three or four channels on TV but I really don't think it would have mattered.  He knew what was important.....his family, and if you didn't believe it just mess with one of us and he would show you real quick. I heard a saying one time "Treat your family like friends and your friends like family and you will get along just fine" and this is how he lived.

When those little ones come to you, do your best to always greet them with a smile and take time to make sure they know how important they are to you.  Maybe if you do they will still cherish their memories of you twenty-six years after you're gone.

My daughter just took the time during her lunch hour to call and see how I'm doing today.........There's my blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment